March 11, 2020 Update

Our district and our community recognize that we are in a period of uncertainty in which conditions and the availability of information are evolving rapidly. Our district will adhere to the following framework when making decisions about events, field trips, and changes to our operations.

  • Where explicit and clearly defined recommendations from public health officials (DPH, CDC, Board of Health) or the Governor's office are available we will adhere to them.  At this time, those clearly defined recommendations include:

    • no international student travel 

    • no out of state student travel

  • Where recommendations exist but they are not clearly defined (e.g., cancel large gatherings) we will seek clarity and request explicit criteria and thresholds for the implementation of social distancing measures from public health officials. The superintendent will attend a conference call with the education commissioner and DPH on Thursday afternoon. I  will press for clear and explicit guidance. In the absence of such guidance, we limit social gatherings that involve the general public.

  • If we are not able to get clear and explicit guidance, the district will confer with our local board of health, public safety, and town officials to determine criteria that is informed by the scientific and public health community.

  • The superintendent is in constant communication with all town department heads regarding COVID-19 and will continue to update you with any additional information as it becomes available.

  • It is important to remember that things are fluid - we must be prepared for the possibility of changes with little or practically no notice. We may cancel an event the day of or an hour before. We would prefer not to do this but we are committed to following a consistent, logical, and informed decision-making process to avoid implementing measures that will not help our community achieve its public health objectives and may only exacerbate panic.

  • We will continue to press for clarity and explicit guidance. We will adjust practices in accordance with that guidance. 

  • It is important to know we will continue to plan, but these plans must remain fluid and will be adjusted given guidance from state and local officials.  

Update on activities:

The following events have been postponed or canceled indefinitely 

  • Spanish Exchange Trip

  • UNH Regional Science Fair 

Given the fluid nature of this situation, the district will make decisions about large gatherings of people on a week by week basis.  Decisions about the next week’s events will be made on Monday Morning and a communication will be sent to the School Community. As of this message the following events have been postponed: 

  • Girls Basketball State Semi-Final Game RESCHEDULED- tomorrow March 12 at Worcester State College beginning at 5:30 p.m.  

  • Fowler School Fine Arts Program 

  • High School Play Dirty Rotten Scoundrels 

  • Fowler School Cookie Contest 

Thank you for your continued support as we navigate this situation.

Mary Jane Rickson