What is PBIS?
PBIS (Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports) is a framework that Green Meadow School began adopting in the fall of 2017. On this page are two videos showing the work accomplished during our second year of implementation.
Philosophy of PBIS
Similar to how we teach reading to students who don’t know how to read, as part of PBIS if a student doesn’t know how to behave we teach them behavioral expectations, instead of waiting for misbehavior to occur.
Core components of PBIS
- Defining and teaching behavioral expectation
- Providing ongoing positive reinforcement
- Collecting and monitoring data
What does PBIS look like at Green Meadow School?
- Behavior Matrix - this document defines expectations in the school based upon the school’s core values of being kind, safe learners.
- Incentives- Classes receive tiger chips for showing expected behavior, and weekly tiger stuffies are earned by the class in each grade with the most tiger chips for the previous week. Golden spatulas are earned weekly by the class in each grade which best followed cafeteria expectations. (View video above for more details).
- Lessons - Lessons about behavioral expectations are taught in grade level meetings as well as via video lessons, in which a class models expected behavior in a given setting.
- Office Discipline Referral forms - We are now recording behavioral data using office referral forms. The data management system SWIS collects and summarizes the behavioral data.
PBIS is a three-tiered model.
Tier 1- interventions are provided to all students in the school. Green Meadow is currently implementing this tier.
Tier 2- interventions are designed for a smaller cohort of students who need more intensive support and who haven’t responded well to Tier 1 supports. When we have successfully implemented Tier 1 we will then apply for the Tier 2 cohort, and at that time another team will be trained in these interventions.
Tier 3- supports are for specific students who haven’t responded to Tier 1 or Tier 2 interventions, and who need the most support.
Green Meadow PBIS Team
All Green Meadow staff participate in PBIS, which is led by a core team made up of 9 school staff and one parent representative. They include the Principal of Leadership and Operations- Mrs. Shea, teachers from each grade level, and a counselor. The team coaches are Katie Krasinski (Kindergarten teacher) and Ann Rutherford (School Adjustment Counselor).
Questions? Contact Ann Rutherford at 978-897-8246 x5337 or email@example.com